Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Children of God

One of my most favorite songs is entitled "I Am A Child of God" and was written by Naomi Ward Randall about 1957. It teaches and explains our true relationship to God. I learned this song when I was about twelve years old, soon after it was written. The song goes: "I am a child of God, and he has sent me here, has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear. [Chorus] Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way. Teach me all that I must do to live with him some day." The second verse states: "I am a child of God, and so my needs are great; help me to understand his words before it grows too late" followed by the chorus. The third verse is, "I am a child of God. Rich blessings are in store; if I but learn to do his will, I'll live with him once more" [Chorus]. The fourth verse was added later and states: I am a child of God. His promises are sure; celestial glory shall be mine if I can but endure" [Chorus]. This song teaches a very important doctrine of the gospel of Jesus Christ in a manner that even children can understand it. God is the Creator and the Ruler of this earth and many other worlds. He is all powerful and all knowing. He is also our Heavenly Father who loves us very much. All of us are children of our Heavenly Father, literal sons and daughters of God. All people who were ever born on earth are spiritual brothers and sisters. Because God is our Father, we all have the potential to become like Him and receive a fullness of joy. Just as we are not identical here, we were not all alike as spirits. We were sons and daughters, males and females. We all had different talents and abilities and received different assignments on earth. Even though we do not remember our premortal life, Heavenly Father knows who we are and what we did in our life with Him. He has a plan for each of us to help us reach our full potential as His child and has chosen the time and place for each of us to be born. His plan makes it possible for each of us to learn the lessons that we personally need and to do the most good with our particular talents and personalities. Our Father in Heaven loves each of His children. He sent us to earth to receive physical bodies and to develop godlike qualities. He did this in order for us to be tested, to gain experience, and to progress as individuals. We were sent here to prove ourselves by exercising our moral agency to choose good or evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment