Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

There Is A God

I know that there is a God in heaven. I have felt His presence many times and have received many answers to prayers. I have many reasons why I believe in God. I look at the world around me and see everywhere proof that God exists. I see the sun rise and set every day without exception. I see the seasons follow in order - winter, spring, summer, fall - every year. In the spring I see my tulips and other flowers come back as well as the grass turn green and the leaves come out on the trees and on my raspberry bushes. Summer brings much more sunshine and warmth, which brings even more plants out of the ground. When the summer is over, I see the leaves turn beautiful colors and fall to the earth. Then I see the snow fall to insulate the earth from the bitter cold of winter. I see proof that God is in control whenever I look at the sky at night and see the millions of stars and constellations, all organized and in perfect order. I saw the hand of God in my life on the day that my first grandchild was born. It was a wonderful blessing to be able to watch this miracle take place! I see evidence of God whenever I look into the faces of my little grandchildren and see their sweet spirits shining out through their eyes. I consider that it is a major miracle that all of my grandchildren were born with all of their parts in the proper places and in good health and strength. God, through His Son Jesus Christ, created this earth and everything on it for the benefit of all His children. He also created the universe and other worlds. He did this in order that His children might have a place to go to obtain bodies and to learn to be like Him. I believe that all of us are created in the image of God as taught in Genesis 1:26-27 and as Stephen saw in Acts 7:55-56. We look like Him because we are His children. I believe that He is an eternal spirit with a tangible body of flesh and bones, a body that is perfected and glorified. I believe that His glory is beyond description. I believe that God is perfect, has all power, and knows all things. I believe that He is full of goodness, love and mercy. I believe that all good things come from God. The Savior taught the importance of our knowing about God and becoming like Him. He said, "This is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3). I believe that the more we know God, the more we will love Him and keep His commandments. I believe that we can become like Him. Some specific actions we can take to learn to know God better are: 1) Believe that He exists and loves us; 2) Study the scriptures; 3) Talk with Him in prayer; 4) Obey all of His commandments as best we can. By doing all these things we can come to know God and eventually return to live with both the Father and the Son.

No comments:

Post a Comment