Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Cheer Leaders

Families and marriages grow stronger when the individuals involved are cheer leaders for each other. We are all in need of confirmation that we have value, and we all need to hear that somebody else thinks we are special.

My little granddaughter has recently learned how to walk. Whenever she even attempted to take a step - with or without support - everyone around her applauded as though she had done something marvelous. They were her cheer leaders. Their cheers gave her courage to keep trying until she could walk across a room without support.

In recent weeks and months I have recognized how my youngest son is a cheer leader for his wife. I've realized that he recognizes and appreciates many things that she does. I remember the first time that she played the piano in my presence, and my son said, "She plays really well, doesn't she?" Lately I have realized that he has brought her abilities to my attention on many different occasions. He brags her up whenever she cooks something special, paints a picture, starts a blog, plays the piano, etc. It doesn't seem to matter what she does or even the quality of the accomplishment. It doesn't seem to matter to him. Whatever she does, he is there cheering for her. This quality about him has increased my appreciation for him.

Family members who spend their time making each other feel good about themselves will not have time to look for weaknesses. We all love and feel closer to anyone who sincerely compliments us and builds us up. Cheering each other will strengthen marriages and families.

No comments:

Post a Comment