Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Four Years Later

                This week marks my fourth anniversary of writing this blog; it has been four long years!  When I started writing, I did so with the hope that I could share information that could save our nation from the Obama Administration, particularly from a second term.  The 2012 presidential election dashed this hope.  I now realize that our nation will most likely go through some even more difficult times if/before we are able to restore real freedom.

                I decided to look back at the four years to see if and how my purpose for writing has changed over the years.  I stated my main purpose in my very first post:  “One of my greatest desires is to leave for my children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. the same freedoms and opportunities that I enjoy.”  I quoted Thomas Paine who penned these immortal words:  “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” (The American Crisis, No. 1, December 19, 1776).  I still feel this same desire and believe that all good parents want the same!

                “I feel great concern as I watch the television broadcasts and read the newspapers.”  I have even more concerns today because I have a clearer vision of where this regime is taking our nation.  The very idea that the United States of America would aid members of Al-Qaeda against the government of a sovereign nation is almost beyond my imagination!  I cannot think of even one good reason to get involved in a civil war in Syria and believe that we should do as God does – let the wicked punish the wicked!  Those people who do not desire to support either side are leaving Syria and deserve assistance.

                “I feel the need to become engaged in the cause of liberty, which I consider to be holding onto the Constitution of the United States and keeping our Republic free.”  I am still looking for more ways to engage in the battle to save our way of life!

                My second post further explained my purpose and why I believe one person – a grandmother in my case – can make a difference.  I wanted to make sure that my posterity knows that I did everything in my power to preserve our Republic.  “I have become very concerned for my grandchildren and what kind of country they will inherit.  I envision one or more of these sweet little children asking me questions, such as:  What were you doing that was more important than protecting my liberty?  What did you do to encourage the politicians to limit the size of our government?  What did you do to stop Congress from incurring so much debt – debt that my generation is forced to repay?  What were you thinking?”

                I wanted to do something but wondered what I could do.  I remembered hearing something about being “only one” and searched for the statement by Edward Everett Hale:  “I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do something.  And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.  What I can do, I should do.  And what I should do, by the grace of God, I will do.”  

I found it interesting that “Edward Hale was the nephew of Edward Everett, the orator and statesman, while his father was the nephew of Nathan Hale, the war hero who was executed by the British for espionage during the Revolutionary War.”  I also found it interesting that Hale is related to Helen Keller, who made a similar statement:  “I am only one, but still I am one.  I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.”

I realized that I have a sphere of influence.  I have family, friends, and associates who love and respect me; I can be a positive influence among them.  I started writing this blog with not much more than a desire, and I have learned a great deal – as can be seen by my posts over the years. 


There is another reason why I am driven to write.  I did not actually want to write a blog.  I started receiving promptings from the Holy Ghost to do so in June 2009 and finally forced myself to do it in September!  I still do not have a great desire to write a blog.  There have been many times when I became weary from writing a daily post and considered quitting.  Each time I returned to the same Source, and each time I gained reassurance that I was doing exactly as God wanted me to do.  I came to think of my blog as my “mission” and an opportunity to reach people all over the world.  I originally thought I was writing for Americans but later I realized I was writing for all who love liberty.  While the great majority of my readers do live in the United States, my blog has reached people in 128 nations!   I have no idea who is reading my words or how often, but I have great faith that my message is going to those people who are searching for something positive in their lives.  It is for this reason that I am beginning a fifth year with my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment