Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Algebra Tales

                My math class finally came to an end!  I came through it with an A, but I had to work hard for my grade.  The grade was based on exams (50% of the grade), quizzes (20% of the grade), and a portfolio (30% of the grade).  There were also citizenship points that would add or subtract from the grade.

                The course was actually an introduction to algebra and finance and consisted of a broad, basic foundation for higher mathematics. I learned information and skills that I can add to my previously ones, including how to figure interest savings accounts and loans.  I think that my children learned this information in middle school and my grandchildren are learning it in the later years in elementary school.  I did not need the knowledge to graduate from high school as my one math class fulfilled the math requirement. 

                As part of the portfolio, I read a financial advice book, wrote a book report on it, and then presented an oral book review to my class.   I chose to read The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom-Practical & Spiritual Steps So You Can Stop Worrying by Suze Orman.  I will post my book report to my blog tomorrow to give you an idea of some of those nine steps to financial freedom.  I gained understanding into how my childhood experiences with money can affect my current attitudes and behaviors with money.  I gained numerous ideas that I can use in my life and would definitely recommend the book to my readers.

                 I invested almost as time learning how to do Excel spreadsheets as I did learning algebra.  I had no previous experience in making Excel spreadsheets and had to learn basic skills in using it.  Now that I know how to use Excel spreadsheet, I can keep better records of my income and expenditures.  The spreadsheets were part of my portfolio, which accounted for a third of the final grade. 

                My financial affairs were in good condition before I took the course, but I gained knowledge that I can use in my life.  The most important thing I learned in this course is that I can learn difficult math concepts by investing the time and effort needed.  I also learned that I can rely on the Lord to help me complete the learning after I do all that I can do for myself.  There were numerous times during the semester that I panicked and wanted to quit.  I was able to continue and succeed because I knew the Lord would help me learn it if I did my part.  My confidence and faith in Jesus Christ grew a great deal during this course.

                My brother included the following information in our family letter.  I think it is cute and might bring a smile to your face so I am sharing it with you.  It is written as a newspaper article but hopefully not true.

            TEACHER ARRESTED AT JFK:  A public school teacher was arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport this morning as he attempted to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a compass, a slide-rule, and a calculator.  At a press conference just before noon today, Attorney General Eric Holder said he believes the man is a member of the notorious Al Gebra movement.  Although he did not identify the man, he confirmed that the man has been charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.

                “`Al Gebra is a problem for us,” the Attorney General said.  `They derive solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in search of absolute values.  They use secret code names like “X” and “Y” and refer to themselves as “unknowns,” but we have determined that they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country.  As the Greek philosopher Isosceles used to say, “There are 3 sides to every triangle.”’  The Attorney General went on to say, `Teaching our children sentient thought and equipping them to solve problems is dangerous and puts our government at risk.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment