Declaration of Independence

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. - That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Study the Constitution

                I believe that Americans should study the Constitution of the United States. I believe they should make a study of the Supreme Law of our nation a lifelong endeavor. I believe their study of the Constitution should begin in elementary school, continue in middle school, high school, and college, and then continue for the rest of their lives. By studying the Constitution, Americans will know what is in the document and what is not, will be better prepared to protect and preserve the document, and will be more capable of teaching the contents of the document to the rising generation.

                I do not remember studying the Constitution in school. In fact, I lived most of my life without knowing much about it. I was the type of American that went about living my life and letting politicians worry about running the nation. Then Barack Obama was elected as the President of the United States, and he started doing things that I had not seen previously, such as taking over General Motors.

                I became more interested in politics and began studying the Constitution. I studied books, such as The Making of America – The Substance and Meaning of the Constitution by W. Cleon Skousen and The Heritage Guide to the Constitution by Edwin Meese III, Matthew Spalding, and David Forte. I took some courses on the Constitution from Hillsdale College. I was astounded by how much I did not know about the Constitution, and I was determined to learn as much as I could about it.

                I was concerned that my posterity would ask me, “What were you doing while the freedom, independence, and liberty of Americans were being destroyed.” I began writing this blog in September 2009 in order to share what I was learning with my children, grandchildren, and others who might be interested in writing my words. I wanted to be part of the movement to stop Obama from gaining another term as POTUS and was very disappointed when he was elected once again. I worried that our nation was on the slippery slope to destruction, and I changed my writing to focus on strengthening faith in God and my family as well as sharing knowing about the Constitution and freedom. I believe that my posterity is pleased with my efforts.

                Yes, I believe Americans should study the Constitution. They should know why it was written and why it is relevant in our day. They should share their knowledge with the rising generation. I came to this realization very late in my life, and I believe that my children and grandchildren are doing better than I. I believe that my interest in the Constitution and politics has encouraged the same in my husband and children. I believe that all my children and their spouses study the candidates and issues of each election, are responsible voters, and some are even involved in politics on the local level. My posterity may not vote for the same candidates or issues, but they are at least informed voters and involved in the process.


                I hope that my readers will also make studying the Constitution a lifelong endeavor and teach their posterity the greatness of the Supreme Law of our land. America is great because America is good. As long as Americans worship Jesus Christ, who is the God of this land, America will continue to be great. May God continue to bless America!

No comments:

Post a Comment